Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When You Spoke The Name That Angels Seemed To Whisper...

It's true. Anytime I have a problem, music becomes my therapy. Happy music for when I feel like dancing or that, for the moment, life has shown a glimpse of perfection. Mellow music for when I need to take a chill pill and realize that I'm not perfect but that doesn't mean I can't want to be. Rock-ish music for when I just feel crazy and need to let some kind of frustration go. All kinds of music! Music is my therapy.
Music is also a passion in the sense that when I sing, when I perform, I get to immerse myself in lyrics and passion and help the audience to realize that the song I'm singing isn't just a song. It's an emotion, it's an exclamation, it's an adventure.
My favorite songs to sing are from musicals. That may sound silly but I think it's because there is almost always a history behind that song. For example, the Dulcinea reprise from Man of La Mancha is so powerful. Aldonza grows from a girl who had no idea what her potential was to a woman who faces her grim circumstances and recognizes that she can be better than what she thought she was meant to be.
I can't explain the emotion that I felt, that I feel, when I sing that song. Maybe I'm the only one who has ever been overcome with emotion when singing that song but for some reason it means so much to me. It's short but powerful and I want to post the lyrics for you all. If you ever have a chance to see that musical, I wouldn't suggest taking little children, it's a bit dark in ways, but you should see it. There is this indescribable feeling you can get from it, it almost makes you feel invincible. AND if you have time to google it, do it! Listen to it! To get the full effect I would listen to the whole thing. But, a word of caution, don't go rent the movie version of it...it STINKS! It almost defiles the story...the movie is crappy really. Anyway, here is the reprise:
ALDONZA:
Dulcinea... Dulcinea...
Once you found a girl
And called her Dulcinea,
When you spoke the name
An angel seemed to whisper...
Dulcinea... Dulcinea...

Dulcinea... Dulcinea...
Won't you please bring back
The dream of Dulcinea...
Won't you bring me back
The bright and shining glory
Of Dulcinea... Dulcinea...

3 comments:

  1. ooh! I've never seen this! Gasp! i know right? Well I'm off to youtube to see if I can find it! Thanks for sharing! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm really in love with this musical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is like that. Therapy. In a way. There are a lot of emotions that come from music and lyrics, I agree. And I can't believe Jenni has never seen this one.

    ReplyDelete