Monday, July 8, 2013

Vacation Day 8: Alcatraz

Day 8 was probably tied with day 9 as my favorite day on the San Francisco adventure. 

In the morning, we headed to Pier 39 just to scope it out and see what it had to offer. 
We were mainly down there to make sure we could get to our Alcatraz ferry on time 

The Pier was fun. We walked around and saw all sorts of fun shops, we stopped and watched the seals for, I don't even know how long. By that time, it was time to go!!!

We booked it over to our docking pier and waited (for me impatiently) while the ferry docked, people got off and the ferry was searched (security reasons, there was no active threat). Finally, we were on our way to an island that has actually peaked my interest for a very long time now.

It was a great day on the island and actually took most of the afternoon.

View of the city from the Ferry.
View of "The Island"
Closer...

 



There were a lot of old, beautiful things on the island.
During it's Pre-infamous years when used as just a prison, they would lower prisoners into this hole.


I got so close to these cute babies and Daddy goose got all fluffed up but nothing happened. Sheesh.

The inmates called the clock, "Times Square"
The Yard. It was big and I felt like I was in a movie.

Can anyone tell me who the guy on the left is? Hmm?

Neil in D Block
I actually really like this pic.
The dark cells. Or "D Block". This is where they sent the misbehaving/dangerous inmates. Not light, no bed.
This way to the library! If inmates behaved, they could have reading privileges.
On our way out we passed by the Warden's House. This is all that is left.



Good thing we were able to leave!

Good bye!
 After a lovely day at Alcatraz, we headed back to Pier 39 for dinner.

We went to a seafood place so that Neil could have a Clam Chowder bowl and crab cakes and Grandma could enjoy some seafood as well. Seafood doesn't sit well with my stomach so I ordered a burger. It was massive but delicious.
 
post signature

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely vacation!! I haven't ever been a fan of S.F. but it's always because I have to do business there, or drive through, or something. I have never just gotten to explore. It's always, fight traffic, try to go a short cut... and then get lost. So not that many great memories of S.F. Maybe I should try to make some new ones?

    ReplyDelete