
I started at Sonic today. (By the way everyone should frequent their local Sonic!) It was the craziest job I've ever had and pretty much the complete opposite of BGS3 where I sat on my tooshie and waited for the phone to ring. It was an awesome job and I'm not complaining about either one, after all, how can anyone complain about having a job in this economy? Not me, that's for sure. Anywho, I am going to complain about the pain coursing through my body. From the top of my head down to my toes I ache. I think that before I go to work again on Wednesday I will be taking Excedrin Back and Body. It's a great place, the pace just kind of throws you for a loop the first time you realize just how FAST you have to be.
There were really only a couple things that bugged me today. I was supposed to shadow one of the other girls to learn about everything. Well, when a carhop is on roller-blades it becomes somewhat hard to keep up with her everywhere she goes. The other thing was that the cook, who seemed really nice until I asked for something, didn't seem to like me much. (Which is fine, not everyone will like me but that's not what I mean.) She seemed like a really nice lady but whenever I asked her anything in English she would glare at me. I felt like I was doing something wrong when really all I was asking for was another Super Sonic Burrito that was missing from an order. She doesn't speak english and if she does then she doesn't like to speak english.
That sounds really "typical American" of me, but it's how I feel. I am thrilled about having a lot of Spanish speakers around me because, no doubt, I might just pick some up! How cool would that be? But I didn't appreciate the glares I got when I opened my mouth...ever. I even tried smiling at this woman and she would just glare...but...whatever I guess. I guess I'll just have to learn Spanish before she'll ever like me!
After I screwed up bagging a couple orders, which I got glared at for by my new BFF and my GM told me is normal for any newbie to mess up, I felt extremely embarrassed and stupid but he was kind and sent me to help out in the drive thru doing drinks. When I started on drinks (everything but Ice Cream) I felt okay. About an hour before I was going to be getting off my shift, I finally started to get the hang of making Slushies and remembering that a Limeade is NOT a slushie. All in all, by the end of the day, I felt like my head was going to pretty much POP! All I'd done was bag orders, prep bags, and make drinks! But I guess that's just how it is. It doesn't help that I start at Lunch and end when Happy Hour is over...but that'll be a good thing once I start Car-Hopping.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be working there in the Fall. Once I can get enough money to have more than 3 credit hours, I'll most likely get an on-campus job. It really makes me feel guilty because I don't' want to disappoint the people who deserve all the credit for getting me this job. They were more than wonderful and I don't want to make them think I'm a flake, it's just that an on campus job is, A-closer and B-they'll understand about classes and stuff like that. I mean they do at Sonic, but I don't want to feel like a burden to whomever has to make the schedule and I don't want to take an opportunity from a High School kid who can't have an "on-campus" job.
It's all a very hard and complicated decision but I know if I need help I can always go to the Lord. I just hope that it all works out.
C.O.N.G.R.A.T.S: on your new job! Let your personality shine girl, you will be just fine!
ReplyDeleteYAY for you! Sounds like your typical first day at work! LOL! Hang in there! It will get a WHOLE lot better! And no worries, just kill them all with kindness, you'll win them all over in the end! LOL!
ReplyDelete