Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Book in The Nook of my Brain...

It's been there since I was 12. I've been writing, editing, and rewriting the whole thing ever since. What stumps me now is that I would like to have a publisher read it and let me know what they think. It's not something that has to happen within the next year or anything, because heaven knows it's not quite ready...I'm not quite ready, but I don't know.
At this point the story can go two ways. Both drastically different from the other. One involves a whole bunch of mythical creatures: fairies, mermaids, dragons and the like, while the other involves only dragons...in a sense. One is more realistic with a flare of fantasy while the other one is purely fantasy. It's somewhat of a headache trying to go through it all and rewrite it so that it appeals more, not only to me, but to more people than just a few preteens.
Uhg.
Anyway, I do love writing it. It's an escape like nothing else. I guess I shouldn't say "escape" because there isn't really anything in my life that I need or even want to escape from. I should say it's one of my ways to vacation. Even if it is just for a couple hours. Writing, is second only to music and theatre. Good things come in threes I suppose. :)
The thing is that I get inspiration at the strangest times. At midnight, when I wake up to take more cold medicine or in the middle of making a strawberry limeade at work. When I can afford to stop and read/reread and write/rewrite, it's like this brain of mine TRAPS me. It knows that there is a way to bridge the gap between what the story is know to what I want it to be. It knows that path but it blocks me from it anytime that most human beings would consider normal. But when that wall is removed and I can smell the roses and hear the little birds chirping as they fly next to the path, I can't for the life of me escape for two seconds to jot it down! This doesn't happen ALL the time. I should give my brain some credit.
It's all just stuck up there and I wish that I could pause the world to just spend time on my story. I love it so much. Unfortunately, that's not possible. Oh well, the time will come...I mean, I won't be working all day EVERYDAY in the summer. I just have to hold out for a few more months...

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh no! You're doing what happens to me EVERY DAY! GRRR... And the whole reason I became addicted to writing in the first place, because i couldn't STOP THINKING about the darn book, so much so, I finally gave up and started typing. (That was March 15, 2008 btw)
    Now 11 months later... I have 5 books written and two more halfway through, an agent and hopefully an editor soon!
    So anyway, moral to this story: WRITE It! If it's speaking... jot it in a notebook until you can get back to it, but WRITE it!!! LOL!

    Also, me and 6 other brand new author friends have just started our own blog called mormonmommywriters.blogspot.com every day we post different ideas and exercises and things and share our experiences on getting published.

    Plus, we'd totally all help critique your work, if you wanted us to, just come on over and say howdy! LOL! OK so this should've been an email, huh? LOL! Can you tell I've become a little obsessed with writing, yet? No? Well you will! Muhahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You are amazing! I'd LOVE to have you critique it. It is still pretty darn messy though. lol.

    Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely take it to heart...or fingers. lol.

    ReplyDelete