Monday, April 15, 2013

The Interview

I don't like interviews.

"When I quitted Barton last...No, I must go further back."
(Ten points if you can name that movie!)

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. 
(It's stuck in your head now isn't it!?)

So, once upon a time, there was a President named Obama. He decided to "reform" the American health care system.

Barf. 

Thanks to the ACA, "Affordable Care Act" aka "Obama Care" all the rules regarding my employment have changed. And it ain't pretty people. 

One of the Act's "affordable" rules states that any individual working an average of 30 hours or more in any 52 week period is required to be provided insurance benefits by their employer. Well, I work at BYU and BYU is essential RUN by part time student employees.

BYU can't afford to pay all of their student employees benefits. That would be THOUSANDS of students. I work 20 hours a week during school and 40 hours a week during the spring and summer. For a couple of months now, that 40 hours a week during summer was being threatened.Rumors that only 29 hours/week would be allowed were floating around...

This is no bueno for my family's budget. NO BUENO!!

Because of this I decided to find a second job. 

I interviewed for a Account Support specialist for Vivint. 

I got the job...and then I didn't. 

I got a phone call explaining that all the paper work was ready to go for me and then something happened within the company and someone else, who was already affiliated with Vivint was placed in the spot I was being hired for. 

The guy I interviewed with told me that they were a call away form hiring me, they were very impressed with my qualifications and that he was super upset that there wasn't a place for me on his team. He also told me that, if it was okay with me, he would keep my info on file and contact me when another position becomes available. He said I wouldn't have to interview again but that I'd just get the job.

If I had been hired, I would have worked 55 hours or more every week during the summer. That would make taking vacations hard.

Anyway, the good news is that everything has been ironed out for BYU and I will be working 40 hours a week for BYU but I have to be careful about the hours.

2 comments:

  1. That is crazy about Vivint! I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, I'd wayyyyy rather work at BYU all summer than Vivint. Just think of all those gas miles to and from work!

    ReplyDelete