Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Don't But I Do

I don't have pretty blue or green eyes. 

I don't have a slender, athletic, "powerhouse" body. 

By the time I graduate with my undergrad, I will have been in school for 6 years,
(The time it takes most people to do an undergrad and a masters...) and I've already been told that it "doesn't count" because I'm "just" graduating from BYU, so "who cares?"

I don't own a fancy car. 

I don't own "in fashion" clothes. 

I am extremely self conscious about my weight and sometimes feel like an elephant among swans. 

Sometimes I'm so nervous about being perceived as ridiculous or silly or stupid that I suppress who I am and can't get comfortable around certain people.  

Often times I think I am the only one who cares about what I care about. 

I'm often fairly certain that I am the last person on peoples' "Care About" list. 

I struggle. I cry. Sometimes I avoid mirrors so I don't have to look at me.

BUT

I do have a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what I look like or how comfortable or uncomfortable I feel in my skin. He likes my brown eyes.

I have a job where I help so many people. I may not be a nurse, a fighter pilot or a child care specialist but I certainly do good and help people. 

At least I have a car! One that I don't have to make payments on, one that works, one that is reliable...most of the time.

I will graduate from BYU and I will have worked hard (I am currently) and it will count.

I have clothes. They aren't the cutest but I have a wide variety to choose from.

I have learned that if people look at me and only see an elephant, they aren't worth my time. 

I run. I may not run far or fast but I run and I am grateful that I have a body that is capable of doing that. 

In moments when I think nobody cares, I realize that it's not up to them to care. It's up to me to care. 

I have come to learn, through the help of my husband, that it is okay to cry, okay to not understand and okay to not be okay.

I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and I love Him. He knows me and my needs and if everyone else in this world left me, He would still be by my side.

7 comments:

  1. Caitlin,
    I care about you too. :) I know everyone has their own insecurities, and mine is my body too. Since blowing my back out, I have gained 20 lb.'s. Wow, talk about a decrease in my self esteem? I wish I could run again! It's been 2 years since I have been out on my trails running! I just can't until I am able to have surgery. It is really hard, and I miss it. I too, am so grateful for my husband that loves me, my Heavenly Father that loves me and my family who love me. I am glad that I am able to help people at work..I think I know how you feel. Seriously. The crazy thing is, I know so many women that feel the same way! I think we all need to lend our support to each other, and what you wrote on your blog is an example of that. When I read it, it reminded me that I am not the only one struggling with some of these very same things. It reminded me of the blessings in my life, and how loved I am. So thank you for the reminders and know that you are not alone. I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin,

    I think that you have the best clothes in the ward!! It blows my mind that you don't think you're fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A) Some of the prettiest people I know have brown eyes. B)Um... you totally do have fashionable clothes. C) Can I copy and paste this for my next blog post? Hehe jk, but just know as women, we all feel like this sometimes. Or a lot of times. The most important part though I think is the "BUT" part you included in your post. Seeking out and recognizing the positive is what makes life sweet and meaningful! XOXOX
    PS, No but really, I just may copy and paste this to my blog if it weren't for plagiarism. (took me like 12 tries to get that spelling right!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know brown eyes are the best for eye makeup. You can literally pull of EVERY color and it brings out your eyes. Also, you forgot to mention the amazing voice of yours. I love your voice, and am a tiny bit envious you can sing like that. It is perfect. Let's play soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. caitlin. i think about you more than you would guess. you are a ray of sunshine throughout my college memories. : )

    ReplyDelete