Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Time Management and Other Confessions of a Control Freak

Okay, so really my daily ritual isn't super important to anyone else's life but my own however, someone asked me and I thought I should blog about it. So here it is. This is what I do (or intend to do) every day. Weekends are much different...as you'll see.

Monday-Friday Morning
(Friday after 5pm differs every week)
6:30am: Wake up
6:32-6:45am: Shower
6:46-6:50am: Get dressed and towel dry my hair
6:50-7:00am: Eat a small bowl of cereal-typically Honey Nut Chex or Cheerios. And by small I mean literally 3/4 cup. :) Also during this time my hair can air dry.
7:00-7:10am: Make my lunch
7:10-7:20am: Blow dry and style my hair. (It has taken me YEARS but I finally figured out a way that I can do it in 10 minutes or less.)
7:20-7:25am: Apply my make-up. Some days it takes a little longer if I want to look extra nice but I'm pretty fast with this one.
(I give myself 5 minutes extra in the morning in case any of the afore mentioned activities take longer than planned.)
7:30am: If I'm walking this morning, I leave for work. If Maria picks me up I have another 5 minutes for touch ups. :)
7:45/7:50am: I usually get to work between this time. Sometimes earlier but NEVER after. I hate being late...
8:00am-Work begins.
Between the hours of 8am and 5pm (for the rest of the summer that is) I work. I stuff diploma covers, process transcript requests, open the office mail, send out transcripts, answer phones-and all sorts of ridiculous question that people somehow manage to conjure up, I process name changes, I process verification request, I file, I get rid of old or outdated forms, I restock forms. The list goes on but some of it would make no sense to anyone outside the office. For example: Checking edits. What?? It takes too long to explain so I'll move on...
5pm-I go home. Sometimes I walk, sometimes I get a ride from Maria. It all depends on how I'm feeling.
Between 5:15-5:25pm: I get home! By this point I'm usually to tired to do anything right away but eventually I get up.
5:45pm-Make my bed and clean my room. I know it's late in the day but there is just something so calming about a clean room.
6:00pm-Eat dinner. Sometimes. Sometimes I'm just not hungry so I have a "snack" for dinner. Like toast or an egg. But usually for dinner I have a sandwich or pasta dish of some kind. While I eat I watch TV or a movie. (Lately this has continued after I've finished eating but it's not my typical ritual)
Around 7:30pm I go out and visit my friends in the ward. Sometimes this takes the rest of the night but sometimes it doesn't. It just depends.
9:00-10:00pm-Work out. (I've been with friends every night for the past couple week so this hasn't happened. I've been thinking about doing it right when I get home but as for now 9pm is when I have it scheduled for.) My roommate Coli and I do this together. Sometimes we do Jillian Michaels work outs, sometimes we do abs and sometimes we do an 80s Hips, Buns and Thighs work out. It's FUN! Now, it never takes the whole hour because most of the work outs are only 30-40 minutes but for the other 20 mins I take the time to shower.
10:00-10:?pm: I say my prayers, read my scriptures and go to bed. I'm usually asleep every night before 11.

Like I said before, Friday after 5pm is different because I don't have to wake up early the next day. And if I do wake up early the next day, it's not to do anything where I really need my brain to do any hard or focused thinking.

Saturday
The only blessed day that I get to sleep in!
8:30-9am: Wake up
9(ish)am: Breakfast. This usally consists of a couple eggs or a small bowl of cereal.
I don't usually plan out my Saturdays. Sometimes I devote most of the day to chores like laundry or dished or vacuuming or cleaning my room or cleaning the bathroom etc. Sometimes I go shopping. Other times I sit at home and do nothing but watch TV or Movies. (Which sounds lazy but give me a break, I do a lot during the week!) I hang out with friends, go swimming, go to the park, ride my bike or whatever else my little heart fancies. Saturday is my day to do basically whatever I want to do.

Sunday
8:30am-Wake up.
Then the rest of the day is devoted to Church. I'm in meetings for church or at church or doing something related to church from 10:30am to 5:00pm, then again at 8:00pm. Occasionally I'll watch a movie after 9:00pm but mostly I just go to bed. Sundays are long and full days but I LOVE them. :)

So, there you have it whether you cared to know or not. (But if you didn't care, why did you take the time to visit my blog and read this post? Just a thought...)

As my friend and I discussed why I plan out my time like this it got me thinking. First of all I will admit that I am a control freak. There are so many events in life that can't be controlled so the things that I can control I do. Like the following: Time Management. I have my movies arranged by genre and within the genre by actor. For example in musicals I have 3 movies with Shirley Jones they are placed next to one another. (I have also created a spread sheet organizing my movies by genre, year and director.) In my closet, my clothes are arranged by color. My books are arranged by author and then by size. The list goes on. So, like I've said, I control the things I can because there are things I can't control but I think that my control freakishness may also come from overcompensation for the things that I should be able to control but that I'm awful at. Like Money Management. Gross. I hate it. I have tried to create a budget many many times and I fail at sticking to it every time. It's ridiculous. But what can I say? I'm not perfect, I'm a perfectionist and a control freak.



1 comment:

  1. I love how both you & Erin have to clean your room at odd hours of the day. Maybe I should start doing that... :)

    ReplyDelete