Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Here's The Thing.

I am not a shy person. So when someone asks, "Hey Caitlin, would you like to get to know... this person is pretty interested in it, would you like to give it a shot?" My response is "Couldn't hurt right? One more friend never killed anyone." (Unless you're Caesar/Brutus but that is not this case...) What stinks about this little situation is that the other person decided that based on my age, and my age alone, I am not fit to be numbered among his friends. Barf. First of all, I am a firm believer that age alone does not define the maturity, responsibility or intelligence of a person. I've known many a 30+ year old who still lives in their parent's house, plays video games all day long and cracks under the pressure of any responsibility given to them. Granted I also know many 20 year olds who can't handle responsibility either. However, I'm not going to hide the fact that I can in fact handle responsibility. I moved-literally moved-across the country to a new state where it's difficult for me to just turn around and go home for the weekend or the summer. I have flown the nest (which doesn't mean I don't want to visit sometimes) and I don't ever plan on moving back in. I have a job, I have to pay for my own tuition, food, clothes, bills! Don't insult me by treating me as if I can't handle being mature or responsible because the second you overlook how awesome a person is, you lose. Not me.

I don't need this person in my life in order to survive and I am sure the reverse is true. Which is fine. But don't base the quality of a person on their age. It's despicable and just plain rude. That's just how I feel about it.

1 comment: