I was reading in an online article on CNN.com that President Obama's inauguration cost 150 Million dollars. For those of you who think that that number is a sufficient number for dear Mr. President let me hopefully put it into your head just how disgusting that number is.
Despite our crappy economy, and despite all of the grief that certain Democrats gave former President George W. Bush, pushing him to be more frugal with the Nation's money, are making no such demands for our new president.
I would just like to give a couple of examples that demonstrate how other past presidents were more classy than flashy.
During World War 1 did not have any extravagant parties, stating that such activities would be undignified.
President Roosevelt held his inauguration at the White House, keeping his speech short and "serving his guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake."
Now some people who may read this may think that the more than tripled budget for the inauguration was so ridiculous because of "security". Why security was indeed upped this year, and while I recognize the need for increased security, that, indeed, was not the only reason for the flashy little price tag for this...party.
At least 45 million dollars was spent on a range of festivites (spanning four days) from a Philadelphia-to-Washington train ride to a megastar concert with Beyonce, U2 and Bruce Springsteen to 10 official inaugural balls.
Like I said earlier, while I understand the need for increased security and also understand that, sure, a celebration isn't going to kill anyone, I don't understand how the person who is claiming to save our economically crappy country can stand to see the price tag of his own little party (and I do mean parties...) become so large.
I think that President Obama has wonderful ideas for this country but I also have not seen one thing that shows me that he can, in fact, make those things happen. I'm sure time will tell what his presidency will do for this Nation, for not only his country, but OURS. Because this is indeed OUR country, he just happens to be the man in charge, for now.
So where do you get all your "facts"?
ReplyDeleteAlso, what did you expect?
Well, a bunch of different places. MSNBC.com CNN.com ABC.com and one other place I can't remember. But I guess I didn't expect much different.
ReplyDeleteWahoo! You go girl! We'll see. We've been praying lots here, I hope he can do something, but i'm not holding my breath. LOL!
ReplyDelete