Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On Top of the World


So, all week long I had a suspicion that it might happen the following weekend but I didn't really have solid evidence, just a feeling. Anyway, we went to Manti for the weekend so that we could spend time with Neil's family for Mother's day. The day before we left (friday) Neil asked if I would like to go 4-wheeling. My response was, of course, that I'd LOVE to go. I love outdoorsy stuff. :) So Saturday we get to Manti around noon and he asks if he can go, "hiking and shooting with Jaiden and the guys." I was totally okay with this because it's not unusual, but usually I go with them. I told him he could go and I stayed home with his mom, which is totally fine because I love her and we had fun.

While Neil was gone, his mom and I were chatting about what my relationship and the whole time I just kept thinking, "Oh. Ok. Maybe it's not going to happen this weekend. Ok, I just need to accept that and move on." Three hours later, when Neil got home, I was totally in the mindset that it wasn't going to happen. So I was a little irritated but I was getting over it, we can't always get what we want when we want it, right? Anyway, we head up the face of the mountain and just start going up. Up and up and up. It was A LOT of fun and I got to be on a 4-wheeler with Neil so I was a happy camper. About a quarter of the way from the top Neil says, "We should turn around and explore some trails closer to the base of the mountain." I was a little thrown because we were so close to the top of the mountain but eventually I agreed and we headed back down. 

A little later, we pull up on this hill over looking the whole valley. I could feel Neil's heart pounding but I didn't think twice about it, I though it was just the adrenaline rush... We hopped off the 4-wheeler and stood there gazing out over the most beautiful city in the world. He had binoculars with him and he starts looking off over where his house is. (His house is on the the very edge of Manti city. A few miles from the "cluster" of the city. Anyway...) So he's staring at his house, through the binoculars for what seems like FOREVER and I'm standing there squinting, cupping my hands around my eyes to block out the sun, trying to see what he was staring at. Now, keep in mind that I had already told myself it wasn't going to happen and so I really wasn't suspecting anything, I just thought Neil was being weird. Anyway, the next thing I know Neil is squatting on the ground next to me and for some bizarro reason I'm super confused because we all know he isn't proposing. Finally he says, "Hey, come here." I sit down next to him and after some instruction on how to best see through this particular pair of binoculars he tells me, "Look at the side of my house." 

So I look. 
And there is this sign.
I can BARELY read it but I know what it says (Marry Me) but I'm not sure if my mind is playing a trick on me so I ask,
"What does the sign say, Neil?"
"Can you read it?"
"What does it say, Neil?"
"Would you like me to clarify?"
"Uh, yes..."
Then Neil gets up on his knee (because at the time we're both sitting on the ground) gives a little but beautiful speech and then asks if I'll marry him. 
I didn't say yes. 
I said, "OF COURSE!!"

So, standing on top of the world, I became engaged to my best friend and I haven't come back down yet. 

3 comments:

  1. awwww!! so so cute! i love it! and please, whenever people ask your engagement story, make sure YOU tell it! ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute! And... SO ARE YOU!!! :) So excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you, for him, for us all!

    ReplyDelete