Thursday, May 31, 2012

I Found This

This was a journal entry I found from awhile back. I needed to stumble upon it today.

March 31, 2010:

So the other day I was watching a show with my friend and my phone rings and I don't recognize the number. I answered it and to my absolute surprise a voice a barely recognized started talking. Her name is Kim. She has Spina Bifida and I was her "camp counselor" when the Spina Bifida conference came to Louisville the summer before my senior year. I worked with the teenagers and Kim was one of them. Lately I've been feeling like there hasn't been a whole lot of good that I've done in my life but when that call came, I knew that there was at least one thing. Kim still remembered me and still wanted to talk to me to see how my life was going. She's an angel in more ways than one. The Spina Bifida conference was definitely an experience that I would love to have again and again. Tender mercies...they're wonderful.



 So now, of course, I've been obsessed with finding another conference that I could go to and volunteer at. And I've been doing some research about how I can volunteer at Primary Children's Medical Center. I found this quote yesterday (or rather I walked by it in the Tanner Building on campus):
 "Service is the rent we pay for living on this earth."
-Shirley Chisholm (I think...)
How cool is that? It's just so nice to have things put into perspective. 

2 comments:

  1. first of all - love the quote. i'm writing it on my mirror as soon as i publish this comment. second - i was laughing out loud cause when i first read it, i thought you said "tanning building" rather than "tanner" bldg. and i thought you meant this whole building on campus that was devoted to tanning. guess i have sun worshipping on the mind! :) cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for journals! This is such a motivation for me! You & Erin were always SO good about writing in journals!

    ReplyDelete