*This Post does in fact include spoilers from The Harry Potter Series, if you have not read the books or seen the movies and wish to keep the element of surprise, please do not continue reading.*
I just finished watching the live stream of the World Premiere of
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two. I was completely caught off guard by how emotional I was at seeing all of the actors, producers, directors, and even JK Rowling herself. Emma's "farewell" speech brought the tears to my eyes and then Rupert's sent them aflowin'. But when JK stood at that microphone and thanked everyone, me included, I lost it.
It's funny, you know? You grow up always knowing that Harry and his friends will always be there. That when you want to escape from whatever you want to escape from, you can pick up any Harry Potter book and you're immediately transported to Hogwarts and all of the adventures that Hogwarts has to offer. Now we have 7 phenomenal books of this spectacular series as well as 8 films beautifully done to bring the books to life. So, even though this is the end-as in no more "new" material will be written or filmed for our Harry-Potter-Lovin'-Hearts to look forward to as J.K. Rowling said today, "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."
Reflecting upon my ridiculously silly emotional state, I realized why this is such a big big BIG deal to me. Some would say that this post should have been posted in 2007 when The Deathly Hallows was published. That was the real ending, no? No. not to me. By that time those of us who followed the films still had a LOT to look forward to, it still wasn't quite done. So, why am I emotional? Why does this matter? Why am I such a baby?
Because I grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione.
When Sirius died, I cried.
When Fred died, I bawled.
When Harry got the Firebolt, I was so excited to fly with him.
When Ron saved Harry from the Dursley's in his dad's flying car, I fell in love.
When Dobby was killed by Belatrix, I was mad and sad.
I was afraid of Bellatrix.
I plotted against Umbridge.
I cheered with the other Griffindors when we won the house cup.
etc.etc.etc.
I did all of those things because I was there, transported by the words, details and descriptions that J.K. Rowling so meticulously and brilliantly crafted.
When I first picked up a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I was 11. I literally grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione. It's hard to believe that it's over. But only kind of over because the story, the books and Hogwarts will always be there. Harry Potter will never die. It's all around us especially now with all of the theme parks, tours, t-shirts, pictures and memories that have been born because of it.
So, if there is one thing I could say to J.K. Rowling, it would be this:
Thank you. Thank you for sharing your brilliance with the world. Harry Potter's story may be done and we may cry as we say our goodbyes and wonder what will happen in the future but Harry Potter is never, ever, gone.
Beautifully said!! Couldn't agree more.
ReplyDelete