Some of you may know that for the past five years I have been writing a book. It started when an idea just popped into my head and has been progressing (though slowly) through the years. After an extended vacation and trying to rewrite it with a completely new tone, I decided to scrap all the new stuff and continue editing where I'd left of in the original.
This was a task I certainly wasn't ready for. If you've ever written a book you'd understand why. You get so attached to characters and little scenes that when it comes down to the question of "Do I really need this?" or "Is this really important to the plot?" your heart aches a little when you realize that the answer is no.
However, I have been saved. I have been given one of the best things a writer can have while the embark on their journey. A companion. An editor.
Now, know that Ashley is indeed not a true "editor" but she is going to school to become one and I already know that she'll be a good one. She's like the gardener to my overgrown and messy garden. She knows what questions to ask, what advice to give and up to this point I don't believe that she'd told me anything that she didn't truly mean. For example, my story had been rather filled with fluff, butterflies and rainbows...completely the opposite of what I truly want. Her comment to me was, "Then write it real! No one is going to believe or even want to read that characters aren't flawed or that a bunch of siblings all under the age of fifteen get along like peanut butter and jelly. Write it real! Be REAL!"
It was like someone was finally speaking my language. Truth and constructive criticism will get me farther than any lied compliment will. That is why I love having Ashley around. It's amazing how day after day you find little reasons why you are where you are. Why God has put you there. Ashley is just one.
The other night we stayed up until 4 am discussing me book. I loved it. Though I was more than merely tired the next day I felt so much better.
It's funny to me really. I'm a very "no clutter" person. Just ask my roommates, they probably all think I'm OCD or something but it just feels good to know that I'm not burdened my unnecessary things! What's funny about this is that I never realized that that was the reason I put my book on hold for as long as I did. There was may too much....stuff! I am now in the process of dejunking and redirecting my plot. I must say that I have never felt better.
No comments:
Post a Comment