I am a Pinterester. I get on a pin, pin, pin and rarely do I ever actually make something I've seen or pinned.
Well, not anymore my friends.
I realized today (as I was hunting down craft supplies) that I am currently in the process of working on THREE pinterest pins at once.
Yes, that's right. I am being crafty.
It hasn't been as easy as I had hoped it would be to find all the supplies.
In fact, were it not for Ebay and Amazon and Google, I wouldn't have found important pieces for my crafting.
None of them are done as of yet but I will post the picture of the pin so you can see what I'm up to.
Pinterest Craft Number 1:
The Picture Wall. I have one already and I don't really like it so I'm stealing this idea. So there.
Sadly, I was truly on my own for this, minus the picture for inspiration. There is no description, no location for where she found her ampersand (which are down near impossible to find and the one I did find, on Ebay, wasn't as cute) and no location for where she obtained the frames.
Anyway, I went to IKEA (LOVE IT) and bought the Ribba brand frames. They didn't have one frame for 2 4x6 pics so I bought two 4x6 frames to replace each of them (a total of four 4x6 frames). It is working just fine in the layout.
There are other brands, obvi, but if you go to IKEA pick out what works best for you. We liked the dimension that the Ribba brand frames add.
As for the letters...uhg. Here in my neck of the woods there is never one store that has all the letter I need in the style I want. Lucky for me, I went by Michael's. I never go to this store. I feel like it's more expensive and less organized than Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's. I was originally going to buy cardboard letters and paint them but decided to go with the black letters I found at Michael's. They actually had ALL THE LETTERS! I didn't realize that one looks like it's been used as a frizbee though so that's being exchanged tomorrow. (And rumor on the street is that Michael's has ampersand signs but I am pretty sure I walked scoured that ENTIRE store to no avail. I suppose I'll have to look again.)
I ordered my pics but they aren't in the frames yet. Once I get my display up, I'll post a side by side comparison. I'm quite excited really.
Pinterest Craft Number 2:
The button "O"
This was a pin that linked to an Etsy shop where you could buy this lovely darling for a whopping $85!
Um, excuse me? I don't think so. Rude.
So, I decided that I could totally do this! I know how to sew a button, I know where to find that kind of linen! I even know where to get a cheap frame!
What I overestimated was the amount of light blue buttons in a variety of sizes that one could find.
Seriously, folks? Nobody has a bulk package of multi-size, light blue buttons?
When I got home (semi-peeved about the lack of buttons) I Googled it. And I found a pound of light blue buttons for $3 ($3.99 shipping).
BOOM BABY!
Take that Etsy shop crafter!
(I'm really not out to get Etsy shop owners, just a disclaimer.)
I have also been on the hunt for awhile for a cute frame. I wanted something antique like but in my neck of the woods, the second somebody mentions to a thrift store owner how "antique like" that frame really looks, BAM! You're $15 price tag just received another zero ($150). I am not kidding! And I also do not approve. Vultures.
So today, while at Hob Lob, I came across some frames in the clearance section. Most of them were too small or too big (like...WAAAY too big). I already knew what our IKEA frames looked like so I decided on a simple, clean lined, black frame.
$5.20
"Heaven, I'm in Heaven..."
I bought some very light green thread to sew the buttons on with (our color scheme is light blue/light green) for $1.39 at JoAnn's, but I also used my coupon so I'm not exactly sure what it ended up costing me.
I got the linen on sale at JoAnn's as well. Normally $16.99per yard, I got a yard for 50% off because it was on sale! ($8ish dollars-I had a coupon for 30% off my entire purchase so the fabric turned out to be a little less than half off.
With that much fabric, I could make two of these and have some fabric left over.
So, the grand total for this project was about $22 give or take a few cents. Compared to $85? I'm good with that.
Pinterest Craft Number 3:
The lady who pinned this also didn't say where she got a couple of things. One in particular...THE STAR!
Bless my ever loving feet for carrying me around and around and around trying to find a dang 6" metal star! The craft stores failed me but good ol' Ebay was there to save the day.
I found this star and once I get it I am going to paint it a dark blue, like in the picture. I bought red and blue paint at JoAnn's for about $1.40 per 2oz bottles. The star was $7.99 and the best part? FREE SHIPPING! What a happy girl I was when I saw that!
I am actually going to use a canvas I bought for $2.50 at Hob Lob last year for the back instead of wood.
I'm still not sure how to attach the star but I'm sure I'll figure something out...
So for a grand total of $13.30* (give or take) I will have my decoration for the Fourth of July!
*That price kind of seems like a LOT but when I consider the ridiculousness I went through to find that star...I don't care.
So there you go. Once all my projects are done, I'll post side by side comparisons so you can see!




I am excited to see your craft! I love going to Michael's only because I use a 40% off coupon every time I go, you could download their app if you have a smart phone ;D
ReplyDeletejust know that as long as you have hard copies of michaels, hobby lobby, hancocks and ac moore coupons, you can use ALL those at JoAnns!
ReplyDeleteIt's just a matter of JoAnn's having what I need...
DeleteLooks so fun and inspiring. I'm excited to see the finished projects!
ReplyDeleteI love the mr and mrs I wan't to do it when we get back but use forever family or something fun like that. Since there are 3 of us! I want to see your versions of them soon!
ReplyDelete