Thursday, May 16, 2013

Vacation Day 3: Solvang and The Beach

We were only about 30 minutes away from the closest beach in Santa Barbara so we decided that, since we had already seen just about the entire town of Solvang, that we would go for a drive and then for a dive. 

That morning we woke up and headed over to Paula's Pancake House for Breakfast.
It was totally yummy. 
Top: Normal pancakes Bottom: Danish pancakes. SO MUCH BETTER THAN NORMAL ONES!
Then we went to the beach.

The water was cold but that wasn't anything new. I'm used to the cold water however, usually it's MUCH warmer outside so that frolicking in freezing cold water is usually more enjoyable. 

Neil and I played in the waves for about an hour and then I decided I shouldn't let my entire body go numb so I laid out for the most part.
Then we walked along the beach and found a really cool rocky area. Lots of starfish, crabs and squishy things. It was kind of gross and cool all rolled into one big adventure.


When we got back to the apartment (I should really be calling it a resort because it's not an apartment or a hotel or a timeshare...) we wanted some PIZZA! I love Pizza. So we went to a local Pizza place (inside the building with a HUGE wind mill) and got pizza and a salad. 

We're pretty sure that they marinade their beets in some kind of alcohol. Good thing Neil took the first bite and realized before I went and put some on my salad. Not that I would have. I don't like beets. 

Anyway, it was slightly funny and overall it was a great day.

The best part?
We wondered into a Bakery (same bakery with the mouse rolling out invisible dough in the shop window)
and I asked what they do with their day old pastries.
The lady turns and says, "Well, on Wednesdays a company comes by and pick them up from multiple bakeries in town and takes them to a soup kitchen. But we didn't know what to do with day olds from other days. You're in luck. We just decided a few minutes ago that we would sell everything day old for a dollar each everyday but Wednesday! Would you like some?"

Would I?!?! Honey, give me the biggest box of danishes this town has ever seen!!!
We had been around town the day before and literally visited EVERY bakery. The cheapest danish could be bought for $3.25. We got 5 danish for ONE DOLLAR EACH! Now, if you know me you know I love deals. LOVE THEM. I am also a lover of pastries of the danish variety. So this combo made for one very happy Caitlin.


They were so good.

3 comments:

  1. That looks SO fun! I'm glad you're having a blast! For some reason when I looked at the starfish, it looked like it was a fossil. Like, flipped inside out, indented into the rock. Not how it usually is. Weird mind games...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so fun! I used to live in Ojai, which is right next to Santa Barbara for 5 years before we moved to Oklahoma! Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so fun! I used to live in Ojai, which is right next to Santa Barbara for 5 years before we moved to Oklahoma! Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete