Tuesday, September 6, 2011

American Heritage

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I enjoy reading about the Founding Fathers' struggle with creating an effective government or writing a constitution. I'm grateful for their sacrifices, knowing they were great and had more than just a "positive effect" on the United States and I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to live in a Nation where freedom of speech, press and religion are among other things at my disposal. However, I am NOT and I repeat NOT happy that I am forced to take a class that hides under the guise of "American Heritage" when it's proper and more correct title should be "American Politics and Why Most People Hate Learning About History." When a reading packet costs more than the textbook for a class, you know you're in trouble. Now, don't get me wrong I've enjoyed the readings so far, I really, honest to goodness, have! BUT I am struggling to see where the parallel between the readings and the lectures lies. I have to write an essay about any opinion I have on the subject of any of the following subjects.
1. Government action invariably means a loss of individual liberty.
2. When designing a government (or writing a constitution), you should never make
optimistic assumptions about human nature.
3. An individual can achieve the greatest freedom only when bound to a community.
4. Inequality is a natural condition of human society, not a reason for government
intervention.

But, of course, I can't write an essay on my true and honest opinion. I DON'T CARE! I really don't and I know that that is a sad position but I hate political arguments because no matter what, no one will ever be right! I mean, I don't like to be wrong but why in the heck would I write a paper on something that I can't prove to be right! EVER! Someone will always prove me wrong and in this ever changing world even when something is factually "right" it won't be for more than a week. (At least that is my experience with politics...Carl is probably dying right now, Alisa, make sure he doesn't get too worked up about this. ;)) I don't like debating opinion. I think it's stupid and pointless because you can't prove that one opinion is right and one is wrong (hence the definition of "opinion") in my mind it's just an excuse to argue and I think that that breeds contention and according to 3 Nephi 11:29, "...contention is not of me (God) but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another." So forgive me if I chose not to contend.

1 comment:

  1. When I asked Carl for his comment he said, "No comment. If she's trying to avoid contention it's best if I don't say anything." Tee hee! But we both still love you! (And I really feel for ya on the class--it's brutal!)

    ReplyDelete