Friday, June 4, 2010

Alan Rickman

Can you blame me for absolutely adoring Alan Rickman? He's a talented, BRITISH actor who knows how to deliver. I'm never disappointed when I see him in a movie.
NEVER!

There are three contrasting roles I would like to focus on today.


#1-Alexander Dane (Galaxy Quest) *Mr. Funny Man*
For those of you who have never seen this movie. GO WATCH IT. If you ever had doubt about dear old Al's funny side, they will vanish after you watch this movie. He's incredible and SO FUNNY!

I'll tell you this, if all you know about Alan Rickman is that he plays Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movie series...this role will BLOW YOUR MIND.

#2-Colonel Christopher Brandon (Sense and Sensibility) *Mr. Heart Throb*
Okay, so maybe "heart throb" isn't the best way to describe this role but all I know is that this is the movie that made me fall in LOVE with Alan Rickman. He's gentle, virtuous, dashing and HELLO! He's a man in uniform, does it get any better? I think not.
Anyway, this shows a much more serious but softer side of Alan Rickman (in comparison to Mr. Funny Man ^) Colonel Brandon is one of the only men (if not THE only man) in this story who doesn't shoot himself in the foot. You have Mr. Willoughby *gag* and "the elusive Mr. F" (Mr. Ferrars) and they are kind of idiots (though Mr. 'F' isn't an idiot for long). BUT Colonel Brandon? Nope. He's true through and through to himself. And my heart :) *Sigh*

And now, the role you've all been waiting for. DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!

#3-Severus Snape (Harry Potter and the *all of them*) *Mr. Scares the Living Daylights Out Of Anyone He Comes In Contact With*
He really does scare the bejeebers out of me in this movie but HE IS SO GOOD AT IT that I can't resist loving him more. When I saw him as the sallow skinned, greasy haired, pompous, self-righteous, meanie-head Professor Severus Snape my respect for him shot up to infinity (okay so that doesn't make much sense but whatever.)
I suppose I should share with you why this role in particular made me have so much respect for this man. My definition of a good actor is when they can play very different roles well. Alan Rickman did the job justice. You hate his eerie blood chilling smirk and you're supposed to! This role proved to me that Alan Rickman can be the funny man and the valiant heart throb AND the villain. He can take on these roles and blow everyone else out of the water! It takes a good actor to deliver the way he delivers and like I've said he can REALLY deliver.
I think I also love Alan Rickman for his portrayal of Snape because I liked Snape throughout the books. Well, I guess I should say I was a "believer" in Snape, not that I liked him so to speak. Yes, there were times when I really wanted to kick him where it counts for being so cruel. I mean, honestly, what kind of a person can be that cruel to anyone? But I always knew that there was something. Something that would be Snape's redeeming quality. And I was right! (When I discovered that I was right I almost cried! Okay, so I did cry because the reason for his redeeming quality is just so tender... go read the books.)

So there you have it. Three contrasting characters, one phenomenal actor and one extremely dedicated fan (ME!)



1 comment: