Well, it's that time again, time for the enormous amount of love from significant others than for some reason makes me a little nauseated. No, don't get me wrong. I love Love. Really, but it would be nice to have my own special someone that I could give that love to. Of course, someday I'll meet him and it'll be peaches and butterflies and until then I have an amazing Dad who sends me bouquets of flowers for Valentines day. I also have an amazing Mom who send me more gifts than I deserve. My roommates are blessings and I don't know that they know how much I care about them. I'm losing my point. My point in all of this is that I'm kind of angry. Why? Because all these "Single Ladies" are now exclaiming, often too emphatically, that they "don't need a man!" "I'm a strong woman and I can be happy without a boy!" Okay, PALEASE! I'm sorry, I'm all for being independent and self-motivated but for a girl (especially one at BYU) to say that she doesn't need a man is kind of kidding herself. Now, don't get me wrong, a woman doesn't NEED a man but to say it around Valentine's day in that tone, you know the one, just proves to me that there is more longing there than she wants to let on but I think the best thing for us "independent women" who "don't need a man to make her life complete" can do for ourselves is to admit that maybe, just maybe, having someone to love and to love you back wouldn't be so bad.
On the other hand, there are those who have been in long relationships and it's not gone anywhere. It makes me frustrated. It's like, "Hey, we've got something good over here but we want to wave it around in your face until you feel bad about not even having a relationship!" Yes, please take for granted how much you love each other. PLEASE! Make me feel even better about myself. Uhg.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you must look at Valentine's day with the Love tinted glasses, try to look at yourself first. Do you love yourself? God? After you've analyzed yourself and honestly answered those questions, look at your life and ask yourself if it's where you want to be at that exact moment. If it isn't, even in the slightest, fix it. Love yourself enough to truly make yourself happy. It may sound selfish but how can you make others happy if you yourself aren't happy.
Good post! You girls should all get together--the ones who don't have a guy--and have a pamper yourself day for Valentines.
ReplyDeleteMakeovers
Chickflicks
Ice cream
Manis-Pedis
And a BIG box of Heart Chocolates just for you!
It's what I always did when my hubby was gone... and you get a whole three day weekend to celebrate this time!
Jenni