I can't express deeply enough how much I know he loves me and protects me.
I think that is important to establish.
Yesterday I went to the hospital to have an EGD done. An EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) is a diagnostic endoscopic procedure that visualizes the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract up to the duodeum (first section of the small intestine). I went in for this procedure because I've been dealing with heartburn for over a year and a half. My doctor thought it would be smart to do.
Good thing my doctor is smart.
During the EDG, they found some suspicious tissue on my esophagus. They biopsied it and, though I do not have any results and won't until next Thursday, the doctors believe that I have what is called GERD which can lead to Barret's Esophagus.
GERD
is a chronic regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the lower esophagus.
(This is not a good thing for your esophagus)
If it is just GERD, it can be resolved with frequent EGDs, to monitor any esophagal changes, and a medication used for Acid reflux/heartburn. Currently I am taking Nexium.
Barrett's Esophagus
Barrett's esophagus is a condition in which the color and composition of the cells lining your lower esophagus change, usually because of repeated exposure to stomach acid.
Barrett's esophagus is most often diagnosed in people who have long-term gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) — a chronic regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the lower esophagus. Only a small percentage of people with GERD will develop Barrett's esophagus.
A diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus can be concerning because it increases the risk of developing esophageal cancer. Although the risk of esophageal cancer is small, monitoring and treatment of Barrett's esophagus focuses on periodic exams to find precancerous esophagus cells. If precancerous cells are discovered, they can be treated to prevent esophageal cancer.
Treatment
Treatment options for Barrett's esophagus depend on the grade of changes in the cells of your esophagus, your overall health and your own preferences. If you would like to see a breakdown of the treatments please click HERE.
As for my own mental sanity dealing with all of this, I'm fine. I really truly am. It could be worse but it isn't. According to the surgeon, it was good that I went in when I did. The earlier these things are found, the better chance I have of getting it taken care of.
I've been very blessed by the Lord and for that I am more grateful than I can say.
No comments:
Post a Comment